Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Masked Mask Maker


Still Sewing Masks


Adding wire nose pockets.


Adding an inner filter layer cut from a new vacuum cleaner liner.
The white film is the filter to go over the nose and mouth area
to hopefully add an extra bit of protection.


I am using up any usable elastic I have,
including cutting the wide elastic in half lengthwise.


I have some of the round coated elastic.
My machine does not like this much, even when using my heavy duty walking foot.
I have had frequent thread breaks and it has even bent a 90/14 ballpoint needle.
The best method seems to be placing the round elastic directly under the needle and 
putting in tack stitches before doing the topstitch all the way around.
Then the pleats add another reinforcement line of stitches.
These get messy thread nests on the back.


These batch of masks are going to some city health department workers.

Then I was just about out of elastic.


Then I scored this bag of Foldover Elastic by Annie 
from my local quilt shop with curbside pick up.

This is one of my favorite types of elastic for this project
as it is the kind intended for baby headbands.
It is easy to work with and soft on the ears.

Ready to make more masks.

Just keep sewing.

May every little mask help.

<3 


2 comments:

Angie said...

Very nice masks. Really neat. Thank you for sewing masks for others. You are awesome! 🎉🌻🥀

Farm Quilter said...

Great masks! Just an FYI, I've been reading that vacuum cleaner bags have fiberglass in them and aren't safe to cut up and breathe through. I'm not a vacuum cleaner bag expert, but that might be something you check out about the bags you are using. What are you using for nose wire?