Friday, June 21, 2019

Pineapples On Point ~ My Method


This is my Pineapple Block On Point.

This 6.5" Pineapple Block, trimmed and squared, now measures 9.5" square.

I stared my 



I am sewing along with



I am using these easy "sew by number" ...


Pineapple Papers @ Fat Quarter Shop

I love them because I can make precise blocks by sewing on the pre-printed lines,
a big help to me with my vision issues.



Here is one of my 6.5" unfinished blocks. 


Here is the back of my block reday to set on point. 
To set on point I first removed the papers.
Then I sprayed with Best Press and pressed my block. 


I also sprayed with Best Press and pressed my background fabric.
This is an important step as there are a lot of bias seam in this setting
and starching and pressing helps to keep the block from being distoted.


I cut my pressed fabric into 8.5" strips.

Then I cut in 8.5" squares.

I use a 3lb. weight to hold my long cutting ruler to keep it from slipping.


Then I sprayed with Best Press and pressed my squares,
being careful not to stretch or distort the squares. 


This I cut my 8.5" squares on the diagonal twice to get my setting triangles.


This is the layout of my on point block.
The long outer edge of the triangles aligns with the edged of the block.
This is the straight of the grain of the cut triangles.
The bias edges are the points on the outside.


Then I sewed opposite sides and pressed outward.


Then I sewed on the last two sides.
It is important not to stretch the fabric in the triangles as you sew 
so that the bias edges do not become distorted.


Here is my block sewn into my top!

I am sew happy with this quilt top and cannot wait to show it to you next week on June 27th.
I hope to have my top quilted by then.

Edit:



This fabric line is 


I found my


Have a happy quilty weekend.


7 comments:

LA Paylor said...

did I miss who prints that fabric? It's like a party!
Leeanna

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh I so love your quilt I received my fabric and there are so many ideas! LOL Thanks for the tut on how to set on point.

Pat said...

Beautiful block, great tips. I'm with Leeanna- who makes that fabric?

mommysj said...

It's Pinkerville by Tula Pink

claudia said...

I love the colors in that fabric. I have finished my gift quilt and I'm now free to decide what to do next. I love the Pineapple blocks and I'm thinking I would like to try some. I think I may even have the papers for the blocks, I will have to tear through my loft to see where I stashed them! Thanks for the tips on setting them on point, I think they look great like that!

Gabi said...

Last sentence of the blog post: This fabric line is Pinkerville by Tula Pink.

Scrapatches said...

Thanks, Gabi, for responding. I updated my post with this info after Lee Anna and others asked what the fabric line is. I also sent an email. I should have had this info in my original post.