Thursday, June 20, 2019

Project Remix ~ Road Trip Bag ~ Kindred Spirits



Here is my Project Remix Road Trip Bag 
all ready to ride! 

I sewed this fun pillow and book bag for the
Blog Remix 

@
The Jolly Jabber



You may find the original tutorial by clicking on this link ...

FQS Road Trip Bag Tutorial



For my Road Trip Bag I used
Anne of Green Gables Kindred Spirits Fabric by Riley Blake

These fabrics are sew pretty!


These are the pieces to my bag.
I added a couple of design options.  



I added a flap with snaps to the outer pocket.


It still fits a good sized hardcover book
and you can snap it closed to keep it from sliding out
on the ground.

If you are like me, you are always dumping bags
at the beach or in the park and have to pick them up
and clean them off.

So I also added ...


an inner zipper pocket to keep small items, like a pocket wallet, secure.


I cut a 10" by 18" rectangle
and used a 10" zipper for the inner pocket\.


I cut a 14" by 4.5" rectangle for the outer flap


I used my Babyville Boutique Snap Pliers

... to add pink flower shaped snaps to the outer flap.


The reverse side of my bag is plain and the inner pocket is on the same side
as the outer pocket so this side may be used as a pillow in the car.


Even though my bag may be used as a pillow case,
I could not resist making a special pillow  from these pretty fabrics.
to go into my bag.


I cut blocks from the panel border for the front of my pillow.


I made an envelope style pillow back
to which I added snaps to hold it closed.
This is one of my favorite pillow back methods.


My Road Trip Bag and Pillow are ready for summer adventures.

I will be gifting this bag to a girl who is of the age I was the first time I read
Anne of Green Gables.
It is still one of my favorite stories.

What are your favorite child hood books
that you would like to make a Road Trip bag 
for a young reader that you know?

3 comments:

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What delightful fabrics-and a great travel pillow.

Danette said...

Such a lovely combination! I'm sure the little girl will love it!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great post! I enjoyed it very much...I'd seen this fabric but there is something about seeing it made up into something that gives it so much added interest. It so totally suits your bag/pillow ideas. Kindred spirits; we can never forget the positivity that Anne herself enjoyed.