Thursday, January 30, 2020

I Like Thursday Post # 42 ~ In the Midst of Winter



This is a rosebud.

It is on the mini tea rose bush that one of my sons gave me last fall.

It sits on my south facing kitchen windowsill
which is sunny, but also very cold,
and bitterly cold at night.

When I saw this pretty little rosebush, my first thought was that it beautiful
and my son was thoughtful because he knows how much I love my rosebushes.

My second thought was, "How am I going to keep it alive this winter?"

I have not had much luck with this type of mini tea rose gift in the past,
I have even tried to plant them in sheltered sunny places in the garden
and winterize them.  None still live and bloom.

There is more to this story.
The son who gave it to me was going though a difficult health crisis at the time.
Somehow keeping his gift alive took on more meaning that just enjoying a pretty plant.
I decided that I would do my best to help it flourish,
even though my nourishing skills feel inadequate sometimes.

This rosebud is a sign of hope.

And my son is doing well. 

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
And that makes me happy. 
For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, 
within me, there’s something stronger – something better, 
pushing right back.”  ― Albert Camus

This has been a favorite quote
since I was in college. 
It is a personal anthem. 

Linking up today with the 
and enjoying life's kindnesses and blessings.

Happy Thursday! 


11 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy your son is doing well. This is such a lovely post.

Julierose said...

Lovely sentiment and that rosebud bodes well...good luck for your son;)) hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

I am so happy your son is doing better. This is such a lovely post.

Shannon said...

What a sweet post! I will pray that your rose stays alive and your son continues to do well!!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great post and love the saying.

PaintedThread said...

A rosebud in winter. Lovely things to look forward to. Glad your son is doing better!

Farm Quilter said...

I used to get those for my mom for mother's day and she has them planted in her front yard. They bloom every year and one of them is taller than I am!! I hope you can keep yours alive.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Beautiful! We all need that hope!!! Hugs!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Beautiful. So glad your son is doing better!

LA Paylor said...

how touching and real. The quote is inspirational to me too, as I'm easily overwhelmed by the troubles these days. Roses need so much special care... lots written about them. I'm glad your son and his plant are surviving. When my last poodle left us, I was bereft as he was our son for 14 years. My friend gave me a plant in his honor, and I've somehow kept it alive although there were moments when I thought it was a goner. We carried it in the car with us across the country for 5 days. When it looked bad I told my friend, she said, keep watering it and jolly it along, it will pull out of this! I did, and it's green again and holding it's own!