Friday, January 31, 2020

Sashiko Hand Quilting



I am trying my hands on something new  ... 

Sashiko Hand Quilting 

I am stitching large stitch hand quilting on this quilty project.

I have always wanted to do this type of hand quilting,
but could not make it work with my achy hands.

Finding the right tools and materials and method has made all the difference. 

I am very pleased with how this is working up.

For my thimble, I am using a




which is now in stock after my customer request.
I have never found a more comfortable and useful thimble
and it is so inexpensive I can buy several so I can always find one
when I need it.


The long needle I am using is from a tube of

I like the long needle because I can take multiple stitches and also align needle 
on the line of my previous stitches to keep them straight.


My choice of Sashiko Thread for this project is

I am adding other colors to this project from my box of threads.


I hope to have this finished project ready to show you on my blog in February.

Happy Stitching! 

6 comments:

Dorian said...

I'm glad you're finding some good supplies/materials to help you with this Pat. It's fun finding new types of sewing, glad you are enjoying it :)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Love those stitches. That’s such a cool thimble too.

LA Paylor said...

I'm interested in how the thimble and needles work over time, if you like using them.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

So glad you found a thimble that works for you! The clover thimbles have really stepped up to the plate I have one I use when I hand piece and applique. I use a tailor's thimble for quilting. I bought some sashiko needles but still have not tried it. Your stitches look really great!

Farm Quilter said...

I have issues with thimbles as well. I use the little stick-on-the-finger round suede-looking pads. I've never seen anything like your thimble before - how does it make it easier to use?? Achy hands need to know!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh silly me, I have seen those thimbles but always wondered how you use them on your finger. I am adding them to my list of Must Buy sewing notions.
xx, Carol