Friday, January 29, 2021

House Temperature Block Tutorial




Here is today's Temperature House Quilt block.

I am calling this one the "Polar Vortex Block."

The low was 7 degrees F with a wind chill factor that felt -13F/-25C 

The high was only 14F, with chill of -2F/-16

Normally, I chose the colors that represent the actual temperatures of the day

but we are in such an extreme weather grip, I chose the colors to include the wind chill factor.

The light lavender "door" indicates the wind chill. 

I was very windy and gusty today ... Brrrrr! 

This is the frost on one of my east side windows with the sun glinting on the ice.

This photo was taken at abut noon. 

I recall waking up as a child to seeing windows iced over like this all the time,

but it is an uncommon happening these days.

I think this may be because the house has better insulation and storm windows.

I am happy and warm and quilty in my snug little home. 


Here are the cutting instructions for my block.

The top pieces are for the roof and show the high temperature of the day.

The bottom pieces are for the house frame and door and show the 

low temperature of the day.

I have chosen to use Kona Horizon for the sky on all my blocks.

This is the sketch for the block I made then

I erased and adjusted after I sewed the first block.

It is an easy block.

These are the pieces for the bottom unit.

Sew the 1.5" square top piece to the 1.5" by 2.5" door and press.

Then sew one 2" by 3.5" rectangle to each long side and press.


To make the  Flying Geese unit for the roof, I like to align the 2.5" square to one corner 
and cut my 1/4" seam allowance with a corner square ruler.
Any ruler with a clearly marked 1/4" line will work.
This is my preferred piecing method.
You may make a flying geese unit any way you like that measures 2.5" by 4.5"
before sewing into your block.


After I sew and press the first corner,
I carefully align my second corner and again cut away the corner,
making sure that I allow for my 1/4" seam.


Here are my top and bottom units showing how I like to press.

You may press open, if you like.


This is my block for yesterday when it snowed.

The block now measures 4.5" by 5.5"  


 I hope you enjoy adding this easy block to your quilting projects.

Happy Sewing!  

No comments: