Saturday, January 23, 2021

Sewing Curves



Today I was using old school methods,

 cutting by hand from homemade cardboard templates.


I drew up this set of templates ...


... after to made the first two blocks for my 


I am making scrappy fan blade blocks with my 8" Dresden Ruler.

The white background is also scrappy as I am using white tone-on-tone fabrics

left from other projects.

The circles in the first photo are cut into quarters for the inner curve.

I am very comfortable sewing curves.

I finger fold to find the center and insert my first pin.

Sometimes, I only use this single center pin.


Because I have not sewn many curves recently 

I added more pins.

From the center I pin the outside, making sure the edges are straight

and then add one or two pins in between.

I remove the pins as I sew, easing the seam.

I take care not to pull the fabric too tight as that can distort the curve.


I use the same method for the outer curve.

I will be working on these blocks again tomorrow. 

What are you sewing this weekend?

I hope you are having a happy, healthy quilty weekend.

<3 


1 comment:

Chantal said...

Those are beautiful curves. I love the addition of the smaller circle as the fan is being built. Looking forward to more. ;^)