Sunday, February 27, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching ~ Wave Stitch Crochet Square

 


It has been a cold and snowy weekend, 
a good time to stay in and stitch with a cuddly lap cat. 

We had 8-9 inches of snow on Friday and it has not melted much
 due to freezing temperatures.
 Outside right now we are having a "snow squall." If you are from a warm climate and do not know what this is, it means that there will not be much snow but it is falling fast and furiously and the wind is blowing it around so that visibility is very low. If we were driving, it would be best to find a safe place to pull over and wait for the snow to let up.  Driving in a blinding snow can be dangerous because you cannot see the outlines of the road or a car that might be stopped in front of you,
or a pedestrian trying to get out of the storm. 

So being able to stay warm and snug inside is a blessing.


Nutmeg and I are working on the first block in the


This is a wave stitch pattern that is done in multiples of 5 stitches
and there are 35 stitches in each row.

I admit that I had some difficulty following the written instructions for this pattern stitch.  It is written correctly, but I kept messing up on alternating the rows correctly and had to pull out a few rows more than once. 

I am a visual learner so I found the following video tutorial for this stitch very helpful:


I love the striped waves in the video 
and have plans to make my second block in three colors. 


I started by making a Foundation Single Crochet (FSC) of 35 stitches. 

Click on the link below if you would like to learn how to start with this stitch:

Foundation Single Crochet (FSC) ~ Video Tutorial 

~ Hooked by Robin

Then I chained 1 and turned and started my first pattern row, 

and in the back loop of my foundation row as called for in the pattern,

I alternated 5 slip stitches (Sl St)  with 5 half double crochet (HDC) stitches.

My second row repeated this row.

These two rows were followed by two rows which started with a chain 2 and repeats of 5 HDC followed by 5 Sl St across. 


After four rows the wave pattern stitch started to emerge.


Here is my block 15 progress.


Linking up tonight with


Slow Sunday Stitching @ Kathy's Quilts


I hope to put in a few more rows before sleep. 

Sweet stitching dreams! 


4 comments:

Dorian said...

That looks like a fun stitch Pat :) Thanks for putting these links up, one of these days, I just might give it a go. lol.

Linda said...

Your wave stitch is beautiful, and I like your colors. Thanks for the links!

Bernie Kringel said...

Oooh, this stitch/pattern is really cool Pat. I am just now learning to crochet and love it. I haven't really gotten to anything too fancy - mostly double and single crochets. My biggest challenge at this point is keeping my edges straight. Hard to explain, but your squares look so 'square' and the edges of mine are wobbly. Does that make sense? If you have any hints on this, I would be appreciative!

Miaismine said...

Ohhhhhh! Dare I say I'm tempted to join you? Your links make it seem doable....I've checked out the blog...I believe I have enough yarn (huh! of course I do!)....and printed out the directions for block 1.....Yikes! Your squares are oh so inspiring!