Friday, February 18, 2022

Squares Sampler Afghan ~ 8 Blocks Done ~ 12 to Go!

 


This morning after my cup of coffee, I added the single crochet border to my second block for the 

Squares Sampler SAL ~ Pattern 4 ~ Vertical Ribs

@ The Inspired Wren


I had a rare late cup of coffee last night and sat up to finish the center of this block.  Then I went to bed feeling accomplished.

After I figured out how to make this pattern stitch work for me ,

I made both blocks in three days.

For my blocks I chained 38 and made 36 HDC stitches in the first row.

I started my pattern stitch with 2 SC and then began the pattern stitch of [1 FPDC and 3 SC] to make 8 vertical ribs and ended with 2 SC.  I turned with 1 Chain Stich and repeated the row for the rest of the center of the square.

I really like the look of this pattern stitch. 


My 8th block is pinned and sprayed with water and drying on my blocking board.

On to the next pattern stitch in the 


Afghan Sampler Crochet SAL



The 5th Pattern Stitch looks, like one I have done long ago 

and should be a much easier stitch for me.



This is the Afghan Sampler Layout with three colors or yarn.

I actually really like this simple layout.

However I decided on using four colors, two pinks and two grays

 so my afghan will look different.

I have been thinking of my setting and layout as I crochet and have an image in my mind that adds "sashing" between the blocks. It musty be the quilter in me that likes to play with my blocks.  I hope I can figure out how to do this with yarn.

I do love the creative element of stitching.

I may play with four of my blocks soon to see how this idea might work up.

Or maybe I will just make all 20 blocks and put them on my quilt design wall.

I have never done that with crochet blocks before.

It sounds like fun!

Mr. Scrapatch has a long weekend starting tonight and we have a home improvement project in our plans, so I hope I have time to stitch.

What are your plans? 

May you have  happy weekend! 



3 comments:

Julierose said...

You have made beautiful blocks--I never did get started (the sciatica happened;000!!) on this, but would like to start one when I an Hugs, Julierose

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Those blocks are so yummy in color. I look forward to seeing how your blocks will be set once you are finished. I have been working on a little quilt. Hope to cut out fabrics for a new one this weekend. Have a great weekend.

Dorian said...

Your stitching is moving along nicely Pat. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the stitch you need for 'sashing', sounds like you are having fun. I have an old quilt here from my Great Grandma. It is made up of 8" wool fabric blocks, crochet together! Have a lovely weekend.