Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Stitch Sew & Show ~ 2022 ~ Week 8


 Welcome to Stitch Sew & Show ~ 2022 ~ Week 8 

I have eleven blocks done for my 

Squares Sampler Afghan ~ Started Here

I am very happy with how this is working up. 

I am halfway though the blocks in this crochet along:

Crochet Sampler Crochet Along @ The Inspired Wren

My 12th block is done and it is on my blocking board.

I varied from the pattern in the crochet along:

Pattern Stitch 6 ~ Moss Stitch/Single Crochet Stripes.

I made a this fun ziggy-zaggy striped block using all my main colors. 

All the blocks call for a round of single crochet around the borders.

I chose the light gray that I had on my hook at the end of the block for this border.  

I intend to use the light gray as the main color and the in the outer border.


This is what the center of the block looked like without the gray edging.

This block worked up square and flat in part because I remembered how I used to like to start my crochet projects. 

I do not like to chain stitch the start unless I am making something like a granny square or round project.

For scarves and afghans and sweaters, I always started with a Foundation Single Crochet (FSC) row when the instructions told me to chain start.


This is what my foundation FSC row looked like before I started the pattern stitch.

This method makes a nice stretchy foundation row that combines the chain and a single crochet stitch.

I like this method because it is not tight and does not curl like a chain stitch start. 

If you are unfamiliar with this method, here is a good video tutorial: 

Foundation Single Crochet (FSC) ~ Video Tutorial 

~ Hooked by Robin


This is my first stripe for Block 12. 

You can see how this looks even top and bottom.

I am feeling more confidant about my crochet skills again

after many years away.

My sewing machine is still sitting idle while I am sitting and crocheting.

Crochet is my happy creative place right now.

I can hear my sewing machine calling my name, though.


Where is your happy creative place right now?

Please share! 


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Foundation Single Crochet is new to me! Very interesting!!! I love your array of blocks you have, Pat!!! My happy place is at my longarm during the day and in my sewing studio at night. But I love getting some crochet in there, too!!!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your blocks all look great together. Love that color combo.

Lyndsey said...

I love the blocks you've made. I must get back to my crochet as I haven't done any for ages. Currently I'm in a hand embroidery mood.

Carol Andrews said...

Your crochet blocks are great! Pat I love the colours.

Dorian said...

Good morning Pat, your crocheting is looking good. I'm glad you are enjoying it. Loving your pinks and grays. Enjoy the day.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love that you are going with the flow of what spurs you creatively right now. This is what it's really all about. And you are making some lovely blocks.

Linda said...

Wow this is beautiful! Love the gray paired with the pretty bright. Thank you for that link to the tutorial for the FSC. I have tried to do it before but not had success, so now I'll have a video to follow. I'm tired of curling chain stitches. Love seeing your progress!