Sunday, January 9, 2022

A New Crochet Sampler Start


A New Crochet Sampler Start

While I am waiting for the next monthy kit and pattern to arrive for my
 Christmas Candy Crochet Sampler Row Quilt I decided to play with some of the yarn from my old yarn bag and I have started a squares sampler afghan based on this free crochet along: 


 Here is the main page for this crochet sampler: 

Crochet Sampler Crochet Along @ The Inspired Wren

As you can see this crochet-along is from 2015. 

The individual block pages are still available for free or you may purchase the whole pattern for only $4.99. 

Here is the pattern page for the first block: 

Crochet Squares Sampler ~ Block 1 Pattern

This is the pattern stitch for block 1

It is called Single Crochet Back Loop Only.

The pattern abbreviation for this is "sc blo

Here is a video tutorial showing how to do this stitch:

"SC BLO" Free Instruction Video by JeansMcQueens

If you are never crocheted before or wish to revive old skills as I am doing, there are many video tutorials out there on the internet to show you what you need to know. Here are some videos top help you get started ... 

Here is a good beginner's video for right-handers:

How To Crochet for Absolute Beginner's by SimplyDaisy

Here is a goo beginner's video for left-handers

How to Crochet Left Handed by Bella Coco

I think the squares sampler crochet along is suitable for advanced beginners.

I am enjoying it as a "getting back to crochet" plan.


Nutmeg continues to be very helpful with this effort and is clearly laying claim to the future crocheted blanket.

My blocks will be 12" square.

The pattern calls for 9" finished blocks, but the yarn is lighter weight than what I have on hand.

I am using worsted weight yarn and a size J - 6.0mm hook.

I have added the single crochet border called for in the pattern

 and my first block is done! 

The crochet along pattern calls for making two blocks in each pattern in two colors.

I am still determining colors as I do not have the called for number of skeins in my small yarn stash.

Block 2 coming soon!

Anyone interested in crocheting along with me and making your own version of this pretty sampler afghan? 

I hope you and yours are having a happy healthy and safe weekend.

<3


4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Ahhh, the Clover J hook, my absolute favorite!

Julierose said...

Ooh this is so tempting--I am only a rank beginner at crochet and have only made granny squares (a long time ago) --but i have leftover yarn and a set of hooks...hmmmyou are quite the temptress;)))
Loving your pink color...hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

I'm with Julierose; so tempting. Gosh! Do I have time for another craft? I did a lot of dollies and table runners before the children. Do I remember how? This would be the perfect project to get reacquainted with the crochet stitches. I will cheer you on from the sideline and I might drool on your blocks a little. Hehe. ;^)

Nancy said...

Four years ago my oldest daughter inherited boxes and boxes of yarn. Guess whose house they ended up being stored at. We transferred them from paper boxes to plastic bins and she has used a few and given away a few. It is time for me to join in the crochet fun. I shouldn’t need to buy any yarn since from where I am sitting I can see at least 10 bins and I know there are a few more in other locations.