Saturday, January 8, 2022

Baking Our Daily Bread

 


This is our daily bread. 

This really is the best and easiest bread ever. 

I found this recipe ...

Peasant Bread How-To Video on Tik Tok

Yes, I have a Tik Tok account ... mostly so I can see the cute sewing and stitching videos that my daughter posts.  While on my way to see her, this popped up and I became mesmerized watching Alexandra make and munch this no-knead bread using two forks in a bowl and then baking it in two ovenproof Pyrex bowls.

It is the easiest and best bread recipe I have ever tried and Mr. Scrapatch loves it.

This is now our everyday bread and it was a big hit at our family Christmas dinner. 

Although I first made this just watching the video over and over,

 I have since bookmarked the full recipe on her cooking blog:


Peasant Bread Recipe @ Alexandra's Kitchen

I have followed this recipe as given, 

except that I only add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. 

The first time I baked it I used a packet of yeast from my refrigerator 

and proofed it as usual in the warm water, sugar and salt

and it worked perfectly.

After that I purchased online the SAF Instant Yeast that she uses and it makes it even easier.  I had never used instant yeast before and I will never use any other yeast again.

The bread dough is mixed and left to rise in one big bowl.

I used the fork method as she shows in her video.

The bread is baked in two 1 quart Pyrex one-proof bowls

greased with a lot of butter to give it that delicious crunchy crust.

I had the bowls, but I see that they can be hard to find and pricey on the internet.

If you do not have suitable bowls and need to buy, you may purchase these direct from the manufacturer's website where they are $7.00 with an option to buy lids to use them for storing leftovers: 1 Quart Bowls @ Pyrex

These bowls make the bread perfect size for munching, toasting, grilling sandwiches or as individual bread bowls for soup.


Mmmmmmm!  So Good!

The second loaf will be gone by the end of the day.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!


4 comments:

Kathy E. said...

Thank you for this recipe and recommendation! We don't each a lot of bread here, but I have an elderly friend I care for who loves sandwiches of all sorts and I'm sure she'll appreciate having a loaf or two of this!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your bread looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Carolyn said...

That bread looks good! I’m thinking bread bowl for homemade soup.

Dorian said...

That looks tasty Pat. I'm glad you found a bread recipe you love!