Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Stitch Sew & Show ~ 2022 ~ Week 3


Welcome to Stitch Sew & Show ~ 2022 ~ Week 3

I love scrappy quilts and treasure all my fabric scraps.

One of the ways I used to increase my scraps when I was a new quilter was to swap small pieces of fabric with other quilters online. Very often I ran the swap so I so I could collect many different scraps. The blue and white snowflake and snowman fabric that I am using for my QATW Winter Mystery Quilt were collected in such a swap.  Friends sent the 10" squares of fabric to me and I swapped and sent their new fabric squares back to them.   Very often the swappers sent me an extra "gift" piece of fabric for running the swap. Lucky me!

To see how I used to organize these swaps ...



Click Here for 30s Fabric Swap 

that I did in 2010.  The snowman fabric swap was one of the first swaps that I did so it preceded my blog.  As you can see I used to pin one piece of each fabric to a note with the person's name so that I would not inadvertently send their own fabric back to the swapper.  

In the snowman fabric above are the pieces sent by one of my first quilty friends online, Gerda.  Gerda was the resident "librarian" on the forum to which we belonged because she always knew the name to a block or particular pattern and could provide a website at the tip of her fingers.  I learned a lot about patterns and quilting from Gerda in Canada. 


Gerda and I also exchanged signature blocks many years ago. 

I posted this Memorial To Gerda in 2012 after she passed away.

Gerda was a treasured friend.  I am happy to have her scraps of fabric and I know she is smiling somewhere today to know that her fabric stash lives on in others' quilts.  I have plans to make the small quilt that I am making two sided with Gerda's snowman fabric on the back. 

Looking at this signature block has me thinking.   

I have collected quite a few of these little blocks over the years and still have them in a special place in my stash. I have not collected any in a few years.

I really do not do swaps anymore. 

At this point in my life I find them more stressful than fun.

But I am wondering if any of you who are reading this would like to do a single signature block swap with me so I may add your name to my treasured stack of signature block friends.

It would be a one-on-one swap.  

I make and mail a block to you.

You make and mail a block to me.

When (add if) you can ... no deadline ... no stress.

Just two online friends making a sending one block in an envelope to each other.

I would post a  block tutorial if anyone is interested.


I hope you are having a scrappy happy week!

Please join in the fun by sharing what you are working on. 

Thank You! 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I would send you a block.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I have a whole bag with swap names I need to do something with. Right now the thought of anymore blocks is over whelming! Happy stitching!