Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Crochet Sampler ~ Day 4 ~ On a Roll


 Day 4 of 2022 found me working on my 

Christmas Candy Crochet Sampler

I was on a roll ... 

 er ... maybe ... ?


With my morning coffee nearby, I thought I was ready to add the green Stripe 3.

These yarns come in one of those "easy pull" skeins.

I have never been convinced these are "easy" to "pull.

For the white skein for the first stripe I tried easy pulling for the skein.

About 3 rows in it stopped easy pulling.  

It stopped pulling completely.

After digging in and pulling out the humungous knot in the center,

spending an hour or so trying to untangle it,

I had to cut it and roll two uneven size white balls. 

Does this ever happen to you? 

 Or has someone given me the crochet evil eye and cursed me with no-pull easy pull skeins?

Living and learning again here that it is best for me to roll the skein into a ball.


All seemed to be going well. I completed the first row in the green stripe.

This pretty wooden yarn bowl arrived via Amazon to help keep my yarn ball from rolling off the table to the kitties' delight.

Yes, that is Nutmeg sitting on the table, temporarily distracted by "birdievision" out my open back door. 

The bowl has a cover but I cannot use it until I use up some of the yarn.

After completing all but the final row of the green, I took a good look at the last red row and compared it with the pattern  photos. 

Hmmm ... something did not look quite right. 

After going back and watching the instruction video all the way through, I found I had missed an important feature of the last red row.  Thinking that I knew what I was doing, I put the hook in to wrong place in the red loop and the knit look design of the red stripe was lost in the last row. 

Time to pull all the green out, fix the last red row and get it right.

Note to Self: 

Always watch all of the instruction videos to the end in the future.

Tomorrow will be another day of playing with the pretty yarn.

Not a bad thing at all ... :) 

I hope you had a happy and successful day of stitching and sewing.



3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I only knit dishcloths but I wind the skein into a ball also, much less frustration this way. Happy stitching!

Dorian said...

Hi Pat, sorry you are having issues with your yarn. I love that yarn bowl though! It sure is pretty. Sorry you had to do some un-raveling, but it's easier than frogging sewing seams, right?? I hope you are feeling alright, have a great day!

piecefulwendy said...

That is a pretty yarn bowl! I recall those knots when I used to crochet. They were so frustrating. I'm sure the kitties love the yarn balls, so I hope the bowl helps!