Sunday, January 2, 2022

The New Year Brings New Challenges

 


A new creative challenge for a new year!

The red is Stripe 2 in the 

Annie's Crochet Stripe Afghan Club

There are several pretty colorways for this club.

I chose the "Christmas Candy" colors.

This is a gift that I picked out when Mr. Scrapatch asked me what I wanted for Christmas.

I will be receiving the pattern and yarn for three rows every month. It is a bit pricey but it includes access to instruction videos which I will need to do the rows with more advanced stitches. So far I am calling this a good gift and worth the cost. There was an option to receive it every two weeks, but I have so many other  projects in the works, I chose the once every four weeks option. 

I taught myself to crochet when I was young and used to enjoy playing with the hooks and yarn before quilting became my main creative outlet. In the past 15-20 years I have only crocheted a few granny blocks and a small project or two and I have one fusion type project started that combines fabric and yarn that has been in UFO pile for a few years. 


The kitties have been very curious about this interesting new craft material.

What cat can resist a yarn ball or a loose yarn end?

Here Nutmeg is inspecting my work.

I am on Stripe 2, Row 10.

So far this is very relaxing and enjoyable 

and just the project that I need right now.

On Christmas Day I spent several hours in the Emergency Room at our local hospital during a winter ice storm that made some roads impassable.  From my small vantage point on a mobile bed, tucked up against the main desk at the ER, I can tell you that all you have read about hospitals and medical personnel being overwhelmed is true. Although the ER doctor wanted to keep me for more observation. I went home, slept comfortably in my own bed and had a wonderful day after Christmas with my family. As I promised the ER, I called my Primary Care last Monday and went in for a follow-up appointment. The nurse practitioner found what has been going on inside my chest for at least a few years that regular EKGs and doctors' examinations and all the ER tests and staff did not find.  I am now scheduled for more tests at the end of January. I am doing okay, taking it day by day and have plans to live to 150 so I can sew all my fabric. 

Looking forward to what the New Year brings ...


5 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Glad your health problem has been found, hopefully you can be taken care of without invasive surgery. I think we all need to live to 150 or more to use up our fabric stashes. Love the afghan, the colors are so pretty. Learning the new stitches will be a good wintertime activity, happy stitching!

Chantal said...

That's the spirit, Pat. 150 sounds like a good goal. It's on my bucket list too. :^D
You picked a very lovely gift. Not only are you working on something useful but also learning new skills. Awesome! Love the blanket, all those different stitches, and those colours make it so lovely. Enjoy! ;^)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun gift - its kinda cool to get back to other things we have learned. and your cat - too funny!

Deb said...

Glad to hear you are doing well. I can't tell you how much I miss your posts. So am very glad to hear you hope to post every day in 2022!!

Will be looking forward to it!!

Happy New Year!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Pat, that must have been a scary time and I'm glad you have a plan going forward. Our health is precious!
I'm crocheting my Yuletide Blanket and almost done...it is so big now I only get one round a night. Your colours here are so bright and pretty. A great project as a gift.
Take it easy now and enjoy the hooking!!