Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Homemade Wool Pressing Board



This is my new Homemade Wool Pressing Board
It is 51" by 17" 



Recovering my home made pressing board was part of my sewing space renovations.
I made this board several years ago and posted it
 DIY Ironing Board Here
It was longer, then.
I cut the boards down to fit the space between my computer desk
and the outer wall of my dining room
when I moved my sewing space to that corner.


I bought this 
This one is 20" by 54"  and  1/8" thick. 
and it was the least expensive one I could find.
I found it at Here @ Fat Quarter Shop

After I posted my first photo of this someone suggested wool felted fabric.
I found some here Wool Felt Fabric at Joann's
but I cannot attest to its quality as I have never used it. 
It would have been wider but the cost would have been similar to 
the Wooly Felted Ironing Board Cover that I used. 
I am happy with my purchase.
It worked well


It came with these clamps and elastic to attach it to the back of the board.


I removed the old fabric cover and left on the cotton batting 
which is just stapled to the boards.


The boards are tongue in groove pine boards from a home supply store
and they are also stapled together.


Here is the back of my newly recovered board.
I used the clamps and elastic that was in the packaging 
to stretch and fasten it.
Then, since the pad was only a few inches wider than my board
and was sticking out, I used
gray fabric 2" wide gaffer's tape to secure the long edges of 
the wooly felt to the back and make a nice smoothly rounded edge.


The board is not secured to the top of the storage cube unit.
I put down large reused piece of rubberized shelf liner
under the board and that works well to keep it from slipping.
This way I can easily move the board to the table when I want to press a quilt top, quilt,
long yardage or anything that needs to hang freely over the edge of the table.


I am very happy with the results.
Best version of my homemade pressing board cover ever!

This project is part of my 


More moving and making room
and doctor's appointments 
happening this week.

More Quilty Adventures Soon  ... :-) 

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Ironing board looks great. I need a new cover on the ironing surface I use beside my sewing machine. I might check into this wool surface as I have heard a lot of people talk about how good it is. I used to have a sweet cat named Felicia that would chew up anything in my sewing room made of wool, so I just steered clear of it.

Sherry said...

Really enjoyed this post. I have been looking to create something similar. I have a small wool pressing mat but am wanting larger so you gave me some great ideas to think about. Thanks Pat!

claudia said...

That is a great ironing board! As I was reading how you did it, I was wondering if (maybe) I could find a wool suit at a 2nd hand store and make a smaller ironing board with that. Something to check into I think. I still can't afford even the smallest wool board, but I would love to have one!

Needled Mom said...

Great idea and it looks nice too. I like the size of it.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! That was a great find at the Fat Quarter Shop - what a nice size. It's just perfect for your board - like it was meant to be. You did a nice job on making it. I was wondering if the kitties were going to let you finish that without issue, and it sure looks like they did. ~smile~ Roseanne

Farm Quilter said...

What a wonderful idea! I have a big pressing board I made to fit over my ironing board that is 5'x 22"...I'll have to look for some felted wool that would be the right size to fit the whole thing!