Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Strip Piecing


Strip Sets for making my blocks for my

Right now I have to make about 10 blocks to send.
Since these will be in different quilts they will look scrappy
even thought I made the constructions easier 
by breaking the pattern down into strip sets.


Here are my pieces. 

I sewed 6 four strip units and 2 two strip units
and cut them into 2.5" strip sets. 


I carefully pressed to nest and chain sewed.


Here are the four block units I made.


Sewed into two units.


Finished block.


Here is the back of my pressed block.


There are a lot of seams in this block.
Even with careful measuring and sewing to make my seams all an accurate 1/4" 
and careful pressing to make sure no fabric was left in the seams,
this is just barely a 12.5" block.

I will be adjusting my needle in future blocks to allow a few more threads in the seams
to make the blocks a smidge larger.
I am not a fan of "scant" quarter inch seams but this block requires it.

The pattern calls for more white background fabric between the blocks
so a minimal size variation should not be an issue
but I like to get my blocks to be the correct even size.


I do love the block pattern though and am looking forward 
to making and sending and receiving the swap blocks.

Looking forward to making the quilt, too.

:-) 

1 comment:

tealeafquilts said...

thanks for sharing! Love this! I might make one with all those 1930's Christmas fabrics I have.