Monday, April 29, 2019

Make Two Blocks ~ Feel Better in the Morning


These are Happy Blocks.

I have been having a bad eye day,
bad day healthwise all around really,
and have not gotten much done.

I needed a  pick-me-up.

So I sewed me some Happy Blocks. 

I first made this block to swap long ago
when every morning 
I grabbed a cup of coffee, turned on my computer and logged in 
to visit with my quilty friends at the once mighty, now defunct
... long  before I ever had a blog.



This is the earliest blog post that I can find about
Happy Blocks,
by that time the forum was already gone
but the friends got together elsewhere.

I made and sent and even won many Happy Blocks.
Very often they went into quilts I donated,
spreading their happiness to others.

Here is how to make a Happy Block:



Here are the cutting instructions for making this 8.5" square block.


I press all my pieces and the sew opposite sides.
Press.
Repeat.
Then I press my blocks ...



 I pressed seams open.
I used to press seams outward,
but I know this way they will fit with any other blocks.


Then  I trimmed up my blocks to make perfect 8.5" squares.

Fabrics are an older Fig Tree Quilts line called "Fresh Cottons"

These blocks are for a winner takes all swap in May
in a newly made swap group that includes many of my long time
Happy Block Swapping Friends.

Hoping I am the lucky winner
but I will be just as happy to send them to a friend.

These blocks are like potato chips.

Bet you can't make just one ... ;) 


4 comments:

margaret said...

will be making some of these thanks for sharing

Julierose said...

I love this block--hope your eye problem is better soon--after my recent laser surgery i can actually see..so I totally get it...
thanks for sharing this tutorial.I can see making a lot of these...hugs, Julierose

Karen said...

Just the name of the block makes me smile.

O'Quilts said...

These are happy because they are so easy and so fast...Hope you feel better soon