Friday, April 5, 2019

Union Square Quilt Along @ Fat Quarter Shop


Here is my first block for my Union Square Quilt.


I love this block.


For this quilt I am using this stash fabric I bought at the nearby

I am sewing along with the  Union Square Quilt Along at
Fat Quarter Shop.

This is part of their Classic and Vintage series.

I was having a time deciding on a pattern for this fabric until I saw this pattern.
It is my perfect choice.



Union Square Quilt Kit

The lovely traditional fabrics in this kit are

Susanna's Scraps by Betsy Chutchian for Moda Fabrics

Visit


The Jolly Jabber

to learn how to make this classic and vintage block. 

FQS Video Tutorial Here

I made the first block according to the pattern instructions,
which are very good.

Then I started thinking about making more blocks for my quilt
and I came up with this layout:


Fabric needed to make this  61" square lap quilt as shown:
3 yards light background fabric (cream)
1 and 1/2 yards dark fabric (red)
1 yard medium fabric (pink)
To this I am adding some Porcelain Charms in the center of the blocks.

Then I thought about using a few quick piecing
tips and tricks I have learned ...


First Quick Method:
I do not like the draw lines and sew and cut method.

My HSTs are much quicker and more accurate when I use:


Triangles On a Roll

This is for the finished 2" size need in the Union Square quilt.
Simply cut two 6" squares,
sandwich right sides together
with the paper pinned on top an follow the stitch lines.


Then cut apart along the cut lines, peel off the papers,
trim off the dog ears and there are perfect 2.5" triangles ready to sew into the block.

One paper yields eight HSTs, enough for two Union Square blocks

Second Corner Cutting Trick:

The rectangles (Pieces G and D) in the corner units
also call for the draw a line and sew then cut method.


I like to use a ruler with a clear 1/4" line and measure and cut my seam allowance
before I sew.  Cuts out some steps, too.


Here are the pieces ready to sew into my corner units.

Quick Sew Method # 3:
(my favorite new trick for this quilt)


Easy Four Patch Hourglass Blocks

I did the math and the test blocks for you here ... 



Cut 4 squares of each of your hourglass fabrics
at 3 and 3/4"
for Four 4 and 1/2" Hourglass Blocks



Sew into 2 Four Patch  Blocks



 Press and sandwich right sides together,
alternating colors as shown.


Here is another view of the sandwiched blocks.

Sew a 1/4" seam on all four sides of the Four Patch Blocks

Nest these outside seams carefully as
they are the centers of the Hour Glass blocks. 


This is the seam on the fourth side.
 You can see the center of the blocks are not stitched together.


On the cutting table carefully align your long ruler 
to make a diagonal cut 
through the two corners and center seam.


Turn and align the  ruler on the other diagonal 
through the two corners and the center seams. 
 Cut on the second diagonal.
You can see my orange cutting mat between the first diagonal cut
if you look closely.


Flip open along the outside seam and there it is:
a perfect 4 and 1/2" Hourglass Block.


I placed my Block Loc ruler on my block to show the size and accuracy.


It could be used to trim the dog ears, but I just used my small scissors and snipped.


Here are the units laid out for my second Union Square Block.

I decided to use some of my Porcelain Charms cut to 4.5" square
for the centers of my blocks.


Here is my second Union Square block.

I am really enjoying quilting along on this project.

Hope to have my finished quilt to show you soon.

See All the inspiring Quilts in the Making Here

Thank you Fat Quarter Shop 
for another wonderful quiltalong! 

5 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely block and a neat way to make those pesky hourglass units!! Mine just never seem to come out right..even though I cut them with my accuquilt die...couldn't be me, could it?? LOL hugs, Julierose

Needled Mom said...

Great block. That would make a fun quilt.

Sheri said...

Your blocks are so pretty! I love them! Thanks for your post!

claudia said...

This is going to be a great quilt! The tips you shared are so helpful. Thank you for sharing!

Farm Quilter said...

What a brilliant way to make hourglass blocks!!! Thank you so much!!!