Thursday, April 18, 2019

I Like Thursday # 8 ~ I Like New Adventures



My Quilty Kitties say it is time to take a leap into our new quilty adventures.

Many of you have been very encouraging following  



and 



I really appreciate the supportive words.  

Yesterday I was at a standstill, because the next step is to dismantle my cutting table
and the recommissioned desktop is much too heavy for me to move by myself.
My hubby had an appointment today before work.
Tomorrow may not be much better,
It may have to wait for Friday or Saturday.
That is okay.


Maestro said, "Take this cover off.
It is time to sew."
Katniss supervised. 


This is Maestro's favorite part of sewing ... bobbin winding.


Maestro waits for it to stop and then takes it off for me ...
at which time I have to snatch it off her quickly before she runs away with it,
thread trailing and all.


Maestro was very miffed that I would not let her have the bobbin.
When she was a kitten they were her favorite toys.
Then one day I saw her crunch the plastic with her strong teeth.
No more bobbins for kitty.
Maestro does not understand that I will not let her play with them because she can get hurt
and would not move off my sewing machine bed.

So I found something else to do for awhile.
While I am moving I am also renovating and upgrading.
I am always looking for ways to improve my quilting
by improving my tools and making my quilting space better
and more comfy and cozy.


I had bought this 8.5" Wool Pressing Mat at a local quilt event a few months back
and have found I really like it.
It presses my seam very flat.
I use a dry iron and do not notice any "animal smell" as some people report. 
If I spray  the fabric or block with water of starch, I do so off my pressing table.


So I bought a larger, thinner one for my homemade pressing board.
Wooly Felted Ironing Board Cover
This one is 20" by 54"  and  1/8" thick. 
and it was the least expensive one I could find.
I bought it at Fat Quarter Shop,  but it is out of stock. 


It came with these clamps and elastic to attach it to the back of the board.
Maestro helped by pulling at the elastic and snapping it.
No photo.  Too busy cat wrangling.


I like my new wool pressing board very much.
My iron is a cordless Panasonic.
It is not as heavy as my others and I have to put it on to reheat between use,
but it gets the job done very well. 
Since it is in its recharge unit when it is not in my hand, 
the kitties have never knocked it over.
They leave it alone.
It must have been the cord that attracted them to my other irons.
I was always afraid they were going to burn themselves ... or me.
I also like this iron.


The kitties think the new wool pad is very comfy.


I really like this fabric! 
New adventures and new start.
I have a wonderful new pattern to play with and these beautiful
Pinkerville Fabrics
This is for a surprise project that will be revealed until next month.
These colors and designs are perfect for spring sewing.

Then the kitties and I took a break to enjoy the sunshiny day.


Spring is blooming out my windows.
The acrobatic squirrel has the new feeder figured out.


Squirrel brought his bird friends to the feeder this time.


Maestro, who gave up on trying to help me in the sewing area,
 likes to do her bird watching from the bedroom window.


Where she can crouch down behind the pansies waiting for her time to pounce.
Look at those ears tucked down for a lower profile.
This is the bird that got away.


Antenna ears back up to listen for the approach birds.
Staying low ... waiting ... waiting ... waiting.
Good thing for the birds that Maestro is an indoor cat.
I like birds.

I hope you enjoyed reading about life in the scrapatch.

Since today is Thursday,
I will be visiting and reading about the life and times of the

I Like Thursday Quilters @ Not Afraid of Color

Happy Thursday!  

11 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good Morning Pat! Look at that kitty in mid jump!! I just LOVE those pictures of Maestro watching for the birds, and those pansies look so fabulous. Oh to be enjoying them already - what a blessing. Your Free Spirit fabrics look so tempting and it's always fun to start a new project. Good luck finishing off your moving project. It looks to me like you have that longarm thing down! ~smile~ Roseanne

Sherry said...

I love the wool mats too. I also use it with dry iron. I have found it will melt fusible so I have to remind myself to move it before I press my fusible applique to my background. And Maestro is just to funny. Always find it a delightful read when the kitties are involved.

Jean said...

I really enjoy the pictures of your cats! Our silly little cat naps outside on the deck while the birds eat at the feeders. She is sequestered for a while if I see baby birds around the yards. Hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend!

claudia said...

I got a few chuckles from your kitty pics. The one with cat in midair is impressive! Every time I get my camera ready to catch some action, it's like a switch that turns the animal antics off!
I bought some fat quarters of Pinkerville. I love Tula Pinks designs and colors. My only problem with owning a bit of this fabric is I am afraid to cut it up and ruin it. So for now I will just get it out and pet it for a while.
I love getting updates on the kitties and your move. I'm still rearranging my sewing loft. Good thing take time, I am willing to take it slowly and make it right.

Suzanne said...

I love your fuzzy face family in all the photos. Your remodeling is going beautifully. I have not tried a wool pressing mat, but now I want too.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I enjoyed getting caught up on your sewing adventures today, Pat! Somehow I missed the exciting news about your long arm - congratulations! I love all the activity of your cats, too - I bet they are really confused... Thanks for telling us about your wool pressing mat. I've been considering getting one, but haven't splurged yet. Your pressing station looks really handy!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wow you have a lot of fur baby help, too bad they can't organize, pack and tote boxes for you also. I have on of those wool pressing mats, love it. I recently heard about the ironing board cover, I sure singe a lot of mine. I did buy a seam clapper and it works pretty awesome if you want to press seams open. Gorgeous fabrics, love Tula, and can't wait to see what you make. I am envious of your window boxes and pansies.

PaintedThread said...

Kitties in action! I'm amused how they like your winding bobbins. I agree with Maestro - that wool cover looks comfy!

O'Quilts said...

That is exactly what I did for my kitties...I bought a Panasonic cordless which is firm in its stand....safe and sound...

Farm Quilter said...

Love the kitty pictures! On that first one, I wondered if the leaping cat actually ended up on the table or the floor...there wasn't much room on the table for her! Great cover for your ironing board. I may need to look for some felted wool yardage so I can cover my big ironing board that I made. I'm looking forward to seeing your new quilting space with your new longarm all set up! While you are waiting for that to happen, may I suggest you fill your freezer with food so you don't have to waste time cooking when you really want to be quilting!! Good thing my husband cooks because there have been many times that I was quilting and forgot the time!!

Shannon said...

I love your kitty antics! My dogs don't have a particular fondness for bobbins, but they love curling up in my batting rolls and unrolling the nice sheets covering them (to prevent accumulation of dog hair ahem). And I'm glad to see there's another person out there who finds something else to do when the dog/cat won't move out of the way. :) Have a great week!