Friday, March 4, 2022

Crochet ~ Gauge

 


Friday was a busy day around the house and I made only this progress on my 

crocheted sampler square Block 17.

This may not look like much but is an important step.

I started yesterday with my 6mm Crochet Hook J to make the first of my blocks for

Pattern 9 ~ Cable Stitch Square @ The Inspired Wren

Then I realized something was amiss and I set it aside to think overnight.

When I measured my block it was much too long. 

My blocks have all be finishing at 12" square.

This one would work up to be at least 14" when bordered and blocked.

The remedy was to pull my size I (5.5mm) crochet hook, get another ball of yarn and start over.

As you can see in the top photo this one should work up to the 12" needed to fit this block with the other blocks.

I have no idea why the same size hook I used for this block will not work.

It is one of the mysteries of "gauge."

Gauge essentially means means the number of stitches per inch and rows per inch that result from a specified yarn worked with a specified-size hook and it has to be measured to achieve the right size.

Gauge is given in all patterns and a particular hook is suggested.

If you are a beginner and need to understand the basics read the article in the link below: 

How to Measure Crochet Gauge @ Yarn Inspirations

Since everyone crochets differently in terms of tightness, the measurements of individual work can vary greatly when using the same-size hook and yarn.

I typically crochet tightly and have to sometimes make a conscious effort to relax my hands to maintain evenness in my rows.  Otherwise my width will start measuring smaller as I work the rows. 

I am fortunate to have this lovely set of hooks for many years from


Clover

I have other crochet hooks, including smooth bamboo ones and more ergonomic handled ones but these consistently feel the best in my hand.

Other hooks can cause my hands to ache and limits my creative time.

These are pricey but they are worth the cost in my estimation.

Making beautiful things should be done with beautiful tools. 


May you have all you need to create.



No comments: