Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Stitch Sew & Show ~ 2022 ~ Week 12 ~ Granny Square Crochet

 


Welcome to Stitch Sew & Show ~ 2022 ~ Week 12


Nutmeg and I have been crocheting classic Granny Squares today. 

It is a great way to use up small balls of yarn.

For a good video tutorial on how to make these, click below

How To Crochet a Granny Square by Lori Holt

There are three videos in this series, 

also showing how to use her blocking board 

and how to make this pincushion. 

Lori Holt makes picture perfect granny squares! 



I taught myself to make these many years ago and have found what works for me.

In these photos I am using worsted weight yarn and my 5.5mm hook. 

I start my granny squares with a combination chain and magic loop:

More Photos Here

Then I work my rounds in the same 3 double crochet, chain two clusters. 

I like to I slip my two ends into the corners of my rounds. 


When I add the new color for the next round 

I choose the corner before my last ending one.


I like to pull up both strands in my chain one.


I pull up the single loop from my ball of yarn for the second chain.


I think this makes a starting chain that looks more like a real double crochet

in my corner clusters.


When I crochet into the next corner,  the ends of my previous round 

are well secured under the corner clusters. 


One my last round I slip knot the ends in the corner and weave them in. 


Since I want 5 inch blocks, I only made four rounds on these granny squares. 

Like in quilting, I do what works for me in my happy place, but I love seeing how others make their blocks. 

Do you have your own crochet methods to share?

I love to learn new things. 


What are you sewing or stitching this week?

Please show us your work! 


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

1 comment:

Gretchen Weaver said...

That looks like a good way to make the granny squares. Happy crocheting!