Monday, March 21, 2022

Small Sampler Block Pattern # 2 ~ Solid Granny Squares


 For my second set of  5 inch setting blocks 

I chose to make these Solid Granny Squares.

For these blocks I followed this free tutorial:

Solid Granny Square ~ No Gaps @ Sarah Maker

In the tutorial it suggests starting your ring with this:

Magic Ring Technique @ Sarah Maker

rather than the more customary "chain and form a ring" technique.

I know how to do both of these techniques,

but I start blocks worked in rounds with my own method that combines the two.

I chain 4 and join with a slip stich and then I wind the tail loosely around the outside of the chain ring. 


Then I followed the instructions to chain 3 and start making double crochets.


When my 12 DC were done, I joined with a slip stitch, as directed.


Then I pulled the center closed with the yarn tail

 and chained 3 and started round 2. 


I like this method because I think it makes a reinforced center for my blocks.


Here are my four solid granny squares on my blocking board.


I am on to the next small block that I have chosen for my sampler afghan..


Happy Crocheting! 


1 comment:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I have always wanted to try to make a Granny square. Have a great week.