Thursday, March 10, 2022

I Like Thursday # 127 ~ More of the Same

 


Today is the day I review what has made me smile this week with my friends at

I Like Thursday @ Not Afraid of Color

Most of what I have to show will look like "more of the same" that you see every week.  This week there has been ...

more snow ...

Yesterday afternoon it started to snow again and this is what we had three hours later.  In the end we had at least four inches.  

It was a good day for ... more soup ...

Homemade Tomato Soup

I love tomato soup but the canned stuff which relies too heavily on salt for flavor does not appeal to me anymore. So I decided to make my own.  

I started with this recipe for

3 Ingredient Tomato Soup @ Inspired Taste

I gathered what I had on hand to start my soup.

I like Pomi tomatoes the best for soups and sauces.

I use low-salt broth.  This Imagine veggie broth is golden, flavorful and delicious and saved me chopping up celery and carrots and other veggies to flavor my broth. I do make my own veggie broth with the scraps and peels but I did not always have any in my fridge right so I keep this on hand, too. Veggie broth goes into most of my sauces and soups and slow cooker meals and I even use it for saute. I did add a little salt and freshly ground pepper, too.  Basil is my favorite tomato soup garnish so I knew that was going in my soup.

I finely diced the onion and 3 big garlic cloves and sauted them in olive oil.

After the onion and garlic was soft, added the strained tomatoes and a cup and a half of veggie broth an brought to a simmer.

When it was simmering, I tasted and it needed more seasoning. Seasoning to taste in my case was adding oregano, parsley, a teaspoon of onion powder and a teaspoon of garlic powder, ore fresh ground pepper ... and ... 

 The bay leaves will be removed but I did not use my immersion blender to puree my soup.  I like those bits of onion and herbs.

Since this is not my mother's tomato soup, I also added a splash of red cooking wine and of Balsamic Vinegar. Just before serving I stirred in some grated cheese and then sprinkled the top with some shredded parmesan.

Served with my homemade garlic bread, this was delicious!  

More kitty love ... 


In the evening, Nutmeg snuggled in on my lap under a fleece blanket and we did

more cable crochet ... 


While I crocheted I found

more patterns I want to crochet,

like this video for a 

Boho Basket @ Crochet With Tiffany 

My friend LeeAnna @ Not Afraid of Color 

sent me the link for this. Thanks, LeeAnna! 

I have since found many crochet baskets that I want to make


More of the same is a good thing.


May you have a Happy Thursday and Many More! 



6 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I love tomato basil soup. I used to can jars of it during the summer. I added a wee bit of cayenne to mine for a bit of heat. I have been watching your crochet blocks, they are all so wonderful.

PaintedThread said...

Way more snow than I thought we'd get! It was pretty! Your soup looks good. Have fun crocheting.

LA Paylor said...

make sure to show me if you make the basket. That soup plus garlic bread looks perfect

piecefulwendy said...

The soup looks delicious! Kitty looks pretty snuggly under that blanket!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my gosh, that soup looks so good and the description made my mouth water. What a great and nutritious meal! Enjoy your crocheting too!

Linda said...

Thank you for that tomato soup recipe, it looks wonderful! I love seeing Nutmeg.