Thursday, May 2, 2019

I Like Thursday # 10 ~ Play


I like playing with the scraps.

These are Half Square Triangles generated by cut-offs from



That is a perfectly useful 7.5" star block 
made from good fabric.

I decided to make a strip with the other nine HSTs.

I am not sure where they will end up,
maybe on a pieced quilt back, 
maybe in a pillow,
maybe in a little quilt with all the other scraps from this new 
Block of the Month quilt. 

Time will tell.  


These little HSTs were all a uniform size.
All I had to do was trim the dog ears.

I like to use a 1/4" corner ruler and cut off the corners
before I sew.

This makes more uniform size scraps and more accurate piecing for me
that the traditional draw a line, sew, sew again and cut in half method.
I do not like to draw lines on fabric.
I almost always opt to find another way. 


This was my "15 Minutes of Play" for the day.


I got the 15 minute idea from this book,


I like to play with the fabric.

Play is a good thing.


This backyard squirrel knows how to play.
Unlike the other squirrels on the ground, this one is very acrobatic.


Squirrel has spent so much time hanging on the bird feeder outside my kitchen window and 
watching me in the window that squirrel now has a name.
At first I was calling him Brownie because he has more brown in his fur than
most of my backyard squirrels,
 but his antics is what really made him stand out from the crowd. 


This is "Cirque du Squirrel."
"Cirq" for short.


Maestro and company spend so much time chattering at Cirq
out the window, that I bought them three little stuffed squirrels.
I think it was a dog toy, but my kitties do not care.

Maestro carries hers around and keeps it handy while she cat naps.
Maestro like to have a toy handy to play with as soon as she wakes up.
Maestro likes to play.



My favorite phone game at the moment is 


It is very colorful; the puzzles are addictive;  
there is a build your garden theme
 and it has a better than most story line.
It even has squirrels ... ;) 

Taking time to stop by and see that the 


Happy Thursday!  


9 comments:

Julierose said...

Love the Cirque de Squirrel! Love those hst's--neat colors--I have that book and re-read it often..nice "play time" hugs, julierose

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love it! Cirque de Squirrel made me laugh out loud this morning. I have a shoebox that is getting stuffed with HST from projects. Someday I will have a ginormous HST scrap quilt. I like your corner trimmer ruler. What brand is it?

Suzanne said...

I love the squirrels name...it's perfect! I will add the book to much search list...interesting idea to sew for 15 minutes without a set pattern.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your 15 minutes of play block result is lovely! I love to play with scraps, too - and who cares if it ends up being something. It's just fun! I love your acrobatic squirrel! They are like that in our yard, too. And the squirrel toys for the kitties are perfect!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Cirque de Squirrel looks to be having lots of fun! Your 15 minutes of play is paying off! Great blocks and HSTs!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! Oh Cirq is quite acrobatic! Holy moly! I know hunger is a powerful thing, so he must be VERY hungry. And your little castoff HSTs are so cute and happy that they are being used! ~smile~ Roseanne

Jean said...

Enjoyed your fun post. Your phone game sounds cute. I play Pocket Camp Animal Crossing and enjoy it. Hope you have a wonderful Thursday!

PaintedThread said...

A pretty squirrel (quite the backbend!). I like your scrap colors - those are nice blocks!

LA Paylor said...

circus squirrels, and cute cats, love love love