Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Beothuk Star QAL ~ All In A Day's Work


My morning started like this.
These are the fabrics I chose to use for a quiltalong I wanted to do
that has been happening along without me.




There are some beautiful quilts in progress in the links!

I have been feeling a bit down lately about letting my quilty plans go sideaways.
like the Trinket QAL   which I kept up with so well in the beginning, 
then got sick, then got back on track,  then let slip away from me 
when I made the decision to buy my dream machine, my HQ Amara 20 
Then I had to completely mess up 
and reorganize my house and my quilting life.
Now all of this is a good thing and a wonderful adventure.
It does mean though that I am still readjusting to my new quilty life.
I am still finding my way as I go along.
Trying to do all I had planned and more.
I am enjoying this process.

I just wanted to sew this quilt.



with these beautiful seaglass fabrics


I chose this version of the design.

There is a linky party this week for the first blocks 
and I had not even sewn the last installment, the HSTs.

Today I was at the quilty crossroad of deciding,
"Am I going to sew along of this or not?"

I decided to cut and sew! 


3:30pm when my hubby was leaving for work,
I was here when he said goodbye.
I opted to use Triangles on a Roll for this project.

These are the 3" Finished Sized Triangles on a Roll

The process is easy sewing along the lines.

I use a 90/14 needle, my heavy duty foot and reduce my stitch length to 1.8
to make removing the papers easier.


Then trimming the sides of the paper and cutting into triangles.


This is my pile of triangles and my trimmings.


Peeling off the papers.
I do not mine this part.
Much better than drawing lines for me.


Pressed and ready to just trim off the dog ears with my snips.


6:00pm and I had all the HSTs needed for my quilt!


So I went from my start of day with my morning cup of coffee
to this .. and ready to sew my first blocks.

I am feeling quite good about my progress
and I even spent time with my hubby, 
made lunch, did some housework
and sat outside to enjoy the breezy spring day for awhile. 

Now I have to make another decision:


Star Center A ~ the light sea glass shards fabric,
which is a variation from the original design.

or


Star Center B ~ background fabric in the star centers,
as shown in the layout version above.

My blue grunge background fabric looks too washed out in this photo.
Not sure why. Actual color in earlier photo.

Which would you chose?

I even have a few hours left in the evening to decide and to start piecing the blocks.

Linking up today with the quilt is progress,
and happy to have something to show.

Tomorrow a roofing crew arrives at 7:00am to replace the roof over our heads.

Tomorrow morning  they will find me 
outside under the canopy on the deck with my morning cup of coffee.
a book and a hand stitching project.

Update:



Block 1 Done ~ Posted Here

Have a happy quilty evening ... :-) 


4 comments:

Julierose said...

I like the "A" version a lot...very pretty fabrics...hugs, Julierose

Sherry said...

I love Triangles on a Roll also, I really like 'Star A"

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! Ooooh, look how far you got in just 2.5 hours. I just LOVE that fabric, and Sea glass collection is just the perfect name. Hmm, I would definitely put the the shards in the center but you do what makes your heart sing. And good news - Sandra extended the linky party for the first eight blocks so you can easily join in. You just might be the winner!! ~smile~ Roseanne

Sandra Walker said...

Whoa that method for making HSTs is the BEST! You made them so fast. I love that you've modified the construction a bit, as did Ioleen, to make your star centres. :-) I like A best too. So glad that you are joining in with us, and yep Roseanne is right: I extended the linky because more is better, in time and in friends. :-) Thank you so much for joining in this QAL!