Sunday, May 19, 2019

Slow Sunday ~ Stitching & Relaxing


Today I started a new cross stitch project!

I am sharing this today with the lovely hand stitchers at

Slow Sunday Stitching




I got it set up, brewed a cup of coffee
 and took it outside to sit and stitch on my yard swing 
and watch my hubby put up the canvas canopy over our deck gazebo.
This is as far as I got in my first stitching session before it started to rain
and I went back inside to make a Sunday Brunch of homemade 
Belgian Waffles and sausage, fruit and juice. 

The pattern is 



I bought my pattern in pdf form directly from the designer 



I also started this

At first I did not think I had any need of a journal for my cross stitch efforts,
but then I realized that I have four projects in the works,
all on different aida cloth and different floss
and although each is in a project bag,
I have taken at least one item out of one of the bags 
to use in another project and I am never going to remember
where it belongs.
So decided I needed to keep track of what I am using for each project
so I can find what I need when I need it.


Here is the entry I made for my new start.

For this one I am using 14 count aida,
a mottled blue sky from

and I am using two strands of


I picked, Bamboo for white, Wavy Navy for blue and Ribbon Red for red.

I have not used 14 count aida in over 40 years.

It is a bit small for my eyes but I think I can do this.


I also learned a new cross stitch technique ..."Railroading" 

I learned this watching Kimberly Jolly in this

which is also where I decided to join in the new 
Cross Stitch Along.

I am a self-taught stitcher and quilter.
No one in my family did this or taught me.
Much of what I have learned has been via the internet.

I am happy to have this big beautiful online resource world
full of caring and sharing people.



This is the vintage American Flag that was folded up in the other photos.
This was one of my other projects this weekend.

One of my sons purchased a home last year that has a flag pole 
and he asked me if we had a flag for it.

I was happy to look through our old scout stuff and find this old beauty.
We passed forward most of these to new troops, but no one wanted this one. 

It is a very old flag of linen and cotton with embroidered stars.
About 30" by 55"
The triple bands of stitches between the stripes are perfect.
The white has yellowed some with age
and there are two small stains and a little fading.
It was a parade flag on a tall wooden pole but it has been in storage for many years.


You can see a small patch of fading on the star field.
I consider this flag still very beautiful and serviceable
and my son is happy to have it.

I am happy to see that it will fly free again for the last years of its life.


Brunch was yummy.
The kitchen is cleaned up.
My blog is updated for today.

The rain is letting up and the canvas cover is over the deck.
I shall be outside sitting and stitching again.

Update:  Sunday's End


Midnight found me bleary eyed and still trying to count my stitches.
This is my progress for the day.
I am having a much more difficult time counting my stitches on the 14 count aida.
Oddly, I can stitch them better than I can count them.

My goal for the week is the blue frame so I am more than halfway there.

I am counting that good.

May you have a Happy Sunday ! 


6 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Sounds like a wonderful Sunday.

Robin said...

Belgian waffles would be wonderful. I wrote in a journal one year about all my quilting projects and my progress. I don't know why I don't do that again because I love going back and reading about what I was working on.

claudia said...

I was thinking what the heck are you doing up at midnight? Then I remembered that I do the same thing! HaHa! Good luck with the cross stitch. I love the pattern. I need to get back to my cross stitching and finish up some projects from years ago!

BTW...I love waffles!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! I would call your Sunday wonderful. We used to own a cross stitch shop that we had to close in 1992. We still have tons of fabric, floss, patterns, etc. We also pick up kits while traveling, and Sue is working on an 18 count Aida - that is SMALL for these old eyes. I liked to use 11 count for a bunch of football-themed pictures made for my nephew. Anyway, what a relaxing and enjoyable Sunday - brunch sounds yummy. ~smile~ Roseanne

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

I used to enjoy cross stitch . Now I find it a bit hard on my eyes . But my daughter has picked up where I left off !

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

18 st is my favourite Aida as well